November 20, 2021

#216 Sooke Harbour House and the Aerie Resort


“Less homelike and more formal (and thus the special-occasion destination of many couples), the Aerie Resort offers stiff competition with its premium-quality kitchen and jaw-dropping setting, high atop Mallahat Summit at 1,200 feet, overlooking  Finlayson Arm and southern Vancouver Island.”

Aerie Resort1

Aerie has changed its name to Eyrie, but it’s still got a gorgeous view from the top of the mountain.  Initially, I was going to roll Sooke Harbour House into my splurge hotels, but alas, it is closed for renovations.  I started thinking if I could sort of count it if I spent a day exploring Sooke Harbour, but ultimately scrapped that, too. It didn’t even occur to me that this entry was actually two locations and I could still have a fancy lunch at Eyrie Resort. The Eyrie struck me as slight run-down, maybe past its original glory, but the food was delicious and the staff was great.

I was torn between a couple of entrees and asked my waitress for a recommendation.  She said the chef is German so I really should have the Jaegerschnitzel.  Jaegerschnitzel it was. And it was delicious.

Jaegerschnitzel: breaded pork tenderloin, spätzle, cranberry chutney, broccolini with almond butter, mushroom cream sauce.jaegarschnitzel 

Keeping with the German theme I had the Matterhorn for dessert: dark chocolate almond sponge cake, amaretto syrup, swiss dark chocolate mousse, almond cream, bittersweet chocolate ganache, alpine berry compote, marbled chocolate cup.

  20211017_181010

I’ve already decided I need to go back to Vancouver Island – so #216 will be revisited at some point starring Sooke Harbor House.