November 18, 2021

#215 Stubbs Island Whale Watching

So, Stubbs Island Whale Watching company shuttered a couple of years ago.  But several operators still run tours from Victoria during October.  I choose Eagle Wing Tours; they guarantee whale sightings, and they did not disappoint.

P1110359 (2)

There was a little bit of weather drama.  I’d reserved a Saturday tour, and I got a call Thursday afternoon saying that the weather looked rough for Saturday and was I able to re-book for either Friday or Sunday.  I told them I could change to Sunday and they said they’d let me know Friday afternoon if we were on for Saturday or moved to Sunday. 

Salish Sea

On Friday, the weather forecast has shifted and it was going to be a “day-of” call by the captains.  They said to plan on Saturday and they’d call by 8:30 am if it were rescheduled. Now, I don’t know if you’ve met my constant companion, anxiety. So, she kept me awake and sickly all night and all morning and yeah.  Not fun.  Of course, the day turned out to be a bit gray, but we had no rain, no wind, and it wasn’t even that cold.  And, we did see whales.  Lots of whales.  Some of the whales were a bit of a show-off and kind of played around in the kelp while we watched, amazed.

Salish Sea2

We also had a very close encounter with two humpback whales who decided they’d love to swim directly under the boat. It was amazing and totally worth it.  If you’re in British Columbia between May and October, I definitely recommend an Eagle Wing Whale Tour.