November 1, 2021

#211 (continuted) Jasper

“Jasper, Canada’s largest national park in the Rocky Mountains, has rugged scenery and a less touristed vibe. … Fishermen enjoy angling on Maligne Lake (the largest of the Rockies’ glacier-fed lakes), while the Miette Hot Springs offer soaks in outdoor pools, surrounded by forest and mountains.”

First up, Jasper. I actually had to rearrange a little bit – Jasper was supposed to be second – which actually worked out for the best since Jasper got snow the day I was originally supposed to be there.

One of my concessions to traveling during COVID was that I limited the number of excursions/experiences I planned and instead splurged on fancy hotels.  By the time I booked Jasper, most of the hotels in Jasper-proper were already booked.  So, I stayed up a Miette Hot Springs.  This place would be extra fabulous if you were actually visiting the hot springs, but alas they are closed this year. Don’t quote me, but I think I read it’s because they couldn’t find enough qualified lifeguards to open this season, due to COVID.

What I didn’t realize when I booked the Miette Springs Bungalows was that it’s literally next to the Hot Springs, and that also means it’s about 16km up a windy mountain road.  

IMG_20210925_220525_608

The Bungalows themselves were really cute/rustic, and the views were pretty amazing.  They warn that while they have wi-fi you should download anything you want to watch before coming up the mountain.  I did not, but I should’ve.  They were serious about that wi-fi situation.  You don’t realize how much you use your phone until it’s actually not available.  Not just wi-fi, but zero cell service.  I sent a couple of texts that read, “I’m not sure when you’ll get this, but…..”

The first night I ate at the on-property restaurant.  It was good, but nothing super special. While I was eating a couple ran in and started talking about a bear that was roaming around.  I did not run out to see it.  Although, it’s an ok time of year to bear-watch – they are all getting fat and happy for winter, but I still didn’t want to accidentally stumble on a bear with cubs.

IMG_20210925_220525_806

Day 2 was excursion day, and this was the only excursion that I had really considered doing.  I’d initially thought I’d visit Maligne (Ma-lene) Lake and take some pictures, wander around, but you can only see Spirit Island by taking a boat trip.  So, I booked a trip.  I soon found that both Alberta and British Columbia have enacted several rules to keep folks safe.  I had to show my vaccine card basically everywhere, including to be able to purchase a boat ticket.  Masks were required at all times in the cabin of the boat. Everyone complied, nobody complained, and many, many people commented on how much safer they felt because of it.  It’s not hard, folks. It’s about considering the community and not just you.

20210926_130338

On the trip out I met, Mika the dog.  She was a really well-behaved , and smartly dressed little pup.  We became fast friends.  After we got to Spirit Island, I discovered a human girl, Mika.  Only because dog-Mika was being asked to sit and girl-Mika was very confused and upset that a stranger was telling her what to do. 

P1100984 (1) 20210926_131430 20210926_135737

Maligne Lake is stunning and Spirit Island is a scared site of the Indigenous Nakoda or Stoney people. It should surprise no one that they were treated horribly, kicked off their land, driven onto reservations, and subjected to the kidnapping and genocide of their people. Recently, there have been attempts at reconciliation, Spirit Island, for example.  Visitors are no longer allowed to walk on that sacred ground, it is reserved only for the Stoney people and their ceremonies.  If fact, after discovery the mass graves at residential schools, the Stoney performed a ritual to allow the Stoney children’s spirits to rest. It should also surprise no one that the attempts at reconciliation are nice, but not nearly enough.  We stole their land, we killed their children, we tried to obliterated their way of life, their ties to the land, and we tried our best to erase their culture from this world. Until we very frankly confront the past and how we (white folks) still benefit from their destruction we cannot reconcile.

Jasper Lake Maligne

 Anyway, it’s beautiful there.

Jasper 2

 And I had a delicious waffle.

IMG_20210926_193052_438