November 16, 2021

#214 Royal British Columbia Museum

“Regularly ranked as one of the top ten museums in North America, Victoria’s Royal British Columbia is as much fun for kids as for adults and as intriguing to locals as to foreigners. Visitors can walk through the province’s history from the Ice Age (the 10 foot wooly mammoth is a guaranteed hit with children) to its mining and fishing heritage, with lifelike dioramas…”

20211013_150008

This really is a fun museum; they’ve even recreated a whole old-timey town including a movie theater.  They also have realistic background sounds of trains, blacksmiths, sea birds (in the boat exhibit), etc. I witnessed actual kids having a blast running around and discovering all the hidden rooms and things to do and see.

Royal BC Town

Royal BC Animals Royal BC Sea

The museum must sit near the government buildings (in fact, I’m sure of it since a cross street is Government Street), and I’m not sure if this is an everyday thing or if it’s protest season in BC, but there were “protesters” outside every time I drove through the area.  I’m putting quotes around “protester” because the main theme I saw was pro-vaccine folks holding signs like, “Honk if you love science!”; “Honk if you love being double-vaxxed” etc.  I did see a smaller group protesting, I’m assuming, logging because they had save the trees themed signs.