November 5, 2021

#211 (continued) Banff Lake Louise

“Banff was Canada’s very first national park, incorporated as a tiny 10-square-mile parcel in 1885 and now grown into a 2656-square-mile giant that is Canada’s number-one destination. … [Lake] Louise has the greater name recognition due to its large ski area, its resort village, and it famous Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, a sumptuous, turreted Edwardian dream that’s probably the greatest of the Rocky Mountain hotels.” I splurged big-time and stayed right at the Fairmont Chateau, and I’m glad I did. My room had a tiny view of the lake and the hotel opened right up onto the lake at the best possible picture site. I was so happy not to deal with crowds, and parking and everything else. Instead I spent the time relaxing, sleeping, and eating.


20210928_13552020210927_17490520210927_174954 

The first night I was exhausted from the drive and ordered in-room dining, pizza. When I called to order I asked the guy what he recommended between a couple of things and he didn’t hesitate to say pizza. When the waiter brought my food she also commented that the pizza was the best thing on the menu and she gets it “way to often” herself.

  20210927_195417

On my “sight-seeing” day, I literally walked outside and hung out by the lake for a couple of hours.

Lake Louise

Then, I headed inside for my afternoon tea reservation in the hotels signature restaurant. Both primary restaurants have windows along the lake and they reserve those tables for hotel guests. So, I had my tea with a truly astounding view.

  20210928_153509

I chose Ontario Icewine as my tea. Again, I’d ask my server for his opinion and he said this was definitely the most unique tea they had. I really liked it. They also provide tea timers so it can appropriately steep – he recommended 5 minutes. 

Lake Louise Tea 1

They do a 3-tier tea tower: Scone, Savory, and Dessert tiers and you only make a couple of choices, mostly you get a little bit of everything. I notified them of my allergy so my savory tier had a couple of substitutes. 

Scone Tier. I chose the traditional scone and the Saskatoon berry and white chocolate scones, with lemon curd, clotted cream, Devon cream, orange marmalade. (Didn’t pick: jalapeno and cheddar.) Lake Louise Tea 2 
Both scones were so good and the lemon curd with Devon cream were my favorite combo. 

Savory Finger Sandwich Tier: 
  • Choux Puff – Country Ham & Cheese 
  • Petit Croissant – Duck (substituted from blackened tuna) 
  • Brioche Toast – Honey Comb w/ Double Brie 
  • Dip - Prawn (they substituted duck) & Avocado w/Rice Crackers 
  • Sandwich – Curry Chicken Finger 
Lake Louise Tea 3 

Coming in with the surprise win was the Choux Ham and Cheese. I could’ve eaten 17 of those. The honeycomb and brie and the curry chicken finger came in close behind. The duck and dip were both so-so, and I think it’s because they weren’t made as intended. I wish they would’ve substituted something from the vegan menu for those instead of just swapping out ingredients. 

Sweet Bouquet Tier: 
  • Macaroon – Salted Caramel 
  • Truffle – Passion Fruit
  • Pot de Crème – Salted Caramel
  • Cake – Olive Oil & Berry
  • Tartlet – Lemon Meringue
  • Berries – Vanilla Cream 
Lake Louise Tea 4

All were delicious, but the Pot de Crème and Truffle were easily the top. 
For dinner, I ate at the Lounge and had a delicious forno chicken sandwich.
20210928_191131 

And the next day, I checked out and headed to Yoho (which is literally right.there). I tried to visit Moraine Lake, but the sun was out and so were the crowds. I guess I’ll just have to go back some day.