November 22, 2021

#214 (continued) Museum of Anthropology

“In Vancouver, the province’s largest city, museum meisters will assure you that the Museum of Anthropology’s collection of native art and culture is no less stellar…  Housed in an award-winning building by Arthur Erickson, it’s best known for the cedar sculpture The Raven and the First Men by Haida artist Bill Reid.”

Museum of Anthropology

I visited the museum on a really cold and rainy day.  They have a small parking lot directly in front and a larger campus parking garage across the street.  Did I drive around the lot until a space in the small lot opened?  Yes, yes I did.  I was tired and cranky and cold. I really had to push myself to leave the house in the first place.

But was it worth it?  Also yes. The museum is undergoing a seismic stability project on their Great Hall, so all the totem poles have been moved to storage area.  The storage gallery is public, but the totem poles are lying down.

20211023_142929

I expected the museum exhibits to showcase the local indigenous populations, but they had items from all over the world. Lucky for me, this Tree of Life from Mexico also had a very comfortable chair near it.  So, I sat and stared and listened to it breathe.

Tree of Life

At one point, a security guard was walking by and we started chatting.  He’d worked at the museum for several years and said he often gets asked how long it takes to “do” the museum.  

“I never know what to say,” he said at the same time I was saying, “thousands of years.” He kind of looked at me and I explained that art isn’t about just seeing it.  

You find something you love, something you hate, something that moves you and makes you feel something and you watch and wait and eventually it speaks to you. It breathes. It lives. It connects. He was nodding in agreement.  Then, the previously empty gallery (it had been just us) started to fill up – at least 15-20 people walked in within about 15 seconds. 

He said, “I see this happen all the time here.  People having intense conversations about the art and the energy that conversation creates draws people toward it.”

Yeah, it’s worth the visit, even on a cranky, cold, rainy Saturday.