April 28, 2008

#28 National Mall and Monuments


National Mall and Monuments
Washington Monument

Meh, it’s tall, and not where I thought it was.

Lincoln's Hand

I loved the Lincoln Memorial. It was powerful. His face, his hands, I was unprepared for the emotion I felt here.

Mind of Man

Jefferson Memorial: It was raining so hard, and it was so windy I thought we’d be swept off the steps and into the Tidal Basin. But the highlight for me was actually reading the quote the circles the rotunda.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man”

One of my favorite books is “Freedom Factor” by Gerald Lund. Its premise is what if the Constitution had never been ratified. They speak of this quote, and it was fantastic to see it in person.

Fingertips

This statue is at the Vietnam Memorial. Again, cold, rainy and spectacularly emotional.

Fountains at WWII Memorial

We saw half the monuments on a day that was sunny and HOT, and the others on a day that was cold, windy, and rainy. The day we saw the World War II memorial, it was hot. And it was filled with people sitting, soaking there feet.

The Depression

FDR Memorial. We went there sort of by accident...we were looking for the Jefferson Memorial. The FDR Memorial is huge and sprawling, and it was the rainy day so we didn’t linger as long as we should have.