December 23, 2023

#229 Winterlude (Ottawa)

“…The imposing Chateau Laurier remains the finest hotel in the nation’s capital, if not all of eastern Canada. Built in 192, at the site where the Rideau Canal meets the Ottawa River, the Laurier offers a historical castle-like setting, handsome furnishings, old-world service, and one of the most European hotel experiences this side of the Atlantic.”

Again, did I go during Winterlude? No. Ironically, the sun was out in full for the weekend I spent in Ottawa. Lunch on the terrace was hot enough that I worried the staff would suffer heat stroke. I had a drink coupon that I used for a fruity summer drink, the dregs of which I ultimately surrendered the bees, but mostly I drank water – lots of water, to counteract that heat. The pizza was unusual, but pretty good.

ottawa


I booked tea service on check out day, and this made up for the marginal tea in Quebec. Food and atmosphere was much better here. 

Ottawa Tea Part