December 2, 2023

#226 Charlevoix

“…the waters where the St. Lawrence and the Saguenay rivers meet are home to beluga, minke, humpback, rorqual, and blue whales in the summer.”

It rained. It was awful. The worst whale-watching experience ever. No really, when I got to the pier/dock and saw the situation I sat in my car for a full 5 minutes thinking I should just ditch the excursion and go back to the motel. Instead, I reminded myself of the other whale-watching excursions I been on and how exciting and fun they were. Yeah, I should’ve skipped it. Along with a list of not fun things about the boat, service, etc. we didn’t see whales. Or at least I didn’t. Or maybe, I did. Does this count?

*maybe a beluga?

Screenshot_20230805_141802_Gallery

The excursion guarantees “marine mammal” sightings, so of course we also swung by the colony of sea lions? Seals? That just live on these rocks year round. After the excursion I found a little restaurant and had poutine and a club sandwich. That was the best part of Charlevoix. 

Charlevoix

While not actually part of Charlevoix, I’m including the HAL shore excursion to Saguenay here as well. In a miraculous turn of events, it was a beautiful day! The excursion I did went to an alpaca farm, a cheese factory, and a glass blowing studio. It really is a beautiful part of the world.

Alpacas Saguenay