September 26, 2019

#188 Art Gallery of Ontario

“The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is one of the finest museums in North America, with a collection that encompasses both Canadian and international art. Founded in 1900 by a group of Toronto citizens, it currently holds ore than 36,000 work, dating from the 11th century to the present.”
AGO1

“To accommodate the additions and bring the museum in to the 21st century, a physical redesign and expansion was led by renowned Toronto native Frank Gehry, the architectural genius behind the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.”
My creation

I had to rejigger the Canadian section of my trip.  I had originally planned to drive first to Niagara Falls over the weekend, and visit the Museum on Monday.  Surprise!  The museum is closed on Mondays (I have no idea why I didn’t check on this first – it’s not exactly unheard of for museums to be closed on Mondays).  At the same time, I noticed that my hotel in Niagara had suddenly added parking charges and a resort fee to my stay – so I cancelled that and instead stayed in a Marriott in Guelph, about an hour and a half outside Toronto, on Saturday night.  

Sunday was a super rainy day, but I drove into downtown Toronto, found a sweet parking deal ($8 all day) in a covered garage about a block away and since I’d repurchased a ticket, skipped the line to get inside.  I found the museum a bit hard to navigate, but ultimately saw everything I wanted.  And the staircase…..it’s just phenomenal.  I think it looks a little like an ampersand from certain angles.  (&)
AGOStair

After wandering the collection for several hours I jumped in an Uber and headed for #189 for a quick lunch.