November 18, 2023

#224 Bay of Fundy

"Fundy is a place of absolute wonder where the world's highest tides rise as much as 48 feet in six hours - more than twenty-two times greater than the average in open seas. Fundy National Park, established in 1948, protects 80 square miles of the land along the bay's west coast. ...Visitors can walk nearly three-quarters of a mile across the tidal flats to the water's edge - then kayak that whole distance a few hours later, when the 100 billion tons of water have rushed back in."

I had two excursions scheduled for Bay of Fundy, the first in New Brunswick which are the first three sets of pictures, and the second on the Nova Scotia side. The weather was raining both days, but was atrocious in Nova Scotia. Like, downpour, fully soaked, miserable, atrocious. It was also the day we were supposed to "walk the ocean floor". Sounds like fun, right? It started with the tour guide telling us we needed to sign a waiver because nobody was liable for any injury. Ok. The
 he talked and talked and talked and talked some more about how dangerous the stairs would be, especially in this weather. How slippery they are and on and on. So, when we got there and it was still a downpour, I decided I would not be risking life and limb that day.

Bay of Fundy 1

Bay of Fundy 2

Bay of Fundy 3

As folks came back on the bus talking about how glorious it was and how it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and how I would surely regret it if I didn't go down there, well, I couldn't take it anymore. I kindly(?, less than kindly?) explained that I was so happy they got to have a once in a lifetime experience, and I would hate it if they had regrets. I however, do not view this as once in a lifetime experience. I will be back during better weather, where I can stay in these cottages (right next door) and sit in a hot tub while watching the tides come in and go out. And that the only thing I would regret, is breaking my femur on those fucking stairs. Here is where I mention that someone on the tour actually fell three times out there. 
Bay of Fundy 4