July 29, 2023

#192 and #193 Revisited: Vermont (Stowe and the Northeast Kingdom)

I stayed in an Airbnb in the border of New York and Vermont for the express purpose of spending at least 2 weekends in Vermont during the month I was there. I managed one day. A very, very rainy day. 

The weather was so bad that I contemplated turning around several times, but just as I’d decide it was better postponed the rain would let up a little and I would press on. But it did mean that things kept getting cut from the itinerary. In the end I only stopped at 3 of the 6 or 7 places on my list that day. Cabot Country Store, Trapp Family Resort, and St. Johnsbury. 

By the time I pulled into St. Johnsbury and made my purchase, I told the cashier that I was thinking I might get food as well, just let me check the radar and see what the storm was going to do. She looked at me and quietly said, “It’s only going to get worse; the streets are going to flood. You should head home now.” 

I took her advice and drove another 3 hours home through ever worsening weather. The next day I woke up to news that the roads I had just traveled were indeed under water, washed out, massive flooding throughout the area I was just in. I’m sad I didn’t get to do everything on my list and I’m very glad that I was safe and sound. I hope that is true for everyone in the flood zones. 

Cabot Country Store –  Pre-COVID Cabot had several farm stores open around Vermont. Now there is only the one, but they still have cheese tastings available. The day I stopped the tasting theme was their cheese paired with condiments, mostly fruit-based items like jams, preserves, compotes, etc.

The person running each station decides what to pair together and present. It was all delicious, but this garlic herb cheddar paired with Southern style rustic mustard was my absolute favorite! 

20230707_144847

Next stop was Trapp Family Lodge, yep, the von Trapps of Sound of Music Fame. When I was last here in 2019, I had lunch and then stopped at the Kaffehaus for the most amazing pastry (almond horn) ever. 

When I got there this afternoon the almond horns were all sold out, but I asked the cashier if he happened to have any hiding in the back. He rustled up 2 (1 to eat there, and one to take home). 

20230707_151650

No photos in St. Johnsbury, it was in and out with the sage advice from the cashier. I didn’t stop at Ben & Jerry’s, Cold Hollow Cider Mill, and Prohibition Pig, and there’s a glassblowing studio that I’ve seen a million times driving around that area that I don’t know the name of, but always think about stopping.